Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Upwork is looking for a Finance Senior Director to join the team and have immediate impact and help make sound financial decisions. This position reports into the VP of FP&A and will oversee our Corporate team. Your work will include but is not limited to ownership of the forecasting and planning process, quarter end, Board reviews, partnering with G&A leaders, implementing and improving processes, driving strategic resource allocation/cost optimization.
You are a highly motivated leader and teammate/collaborator, are equally adept at process as ability to think multiple steps out and implications thereof. You are a mentor to your team, leading by example, work well cross functionally in a team environment, as well as independently. Candidates will be responsible for managing a team including managers and analysts, be the key stakeholder to executives across the company along with the CFO and guide investment decisions that support the company’s strategic initiatives.
- You will roll up your sleeves and drive annual operating plans, quarterly and monthly forecasts for departmental expenses, provide ongoing analysis of actuals versus plan and/or forecast as well as the underlying models
- Partner with the FP&A team leads to ensure accuracy, efficient spending, and decision making rooted in data
- Identify and drive operational improvements; build or enhance reporting and dashboards, trend analysis and provide thoughtful, relevant and insightful information for key decision making
- Partner with the business to create and monitor a return on investment framework around key initiatives
- Supervise, mentor, develop and motivate at least two analysts
What it takes to catch our eye:
What would knock our socks off:
- 15+ years of experience in a finance related role, ideally in corporate or business partner FP&A functions
- Excellent communication and social skills
- Demonstrated success in developing and applying finance concepts, practices and procedures.
- Outstanding forecasting methods and techniques. Advanced analytical and quantitative abilities
- Understanding of cost drivers; including global hiring, compensation, benefits, vendor expenses and etc
- Modeling, reporting and presentation skills (Excel and G-suite)
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment and stay flexible through growth and change.
- Ability to think creatively and has high standard of accuracy and precision
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $174,000 - $240,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
- Prior experience with Adaptive Insights, Oracle is a major plus
- Understanding or experience in a marketplace environment
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
At the core of our vibrant culture are shared values that form the foundation of our organization. These values revolve around trust, risk-taking, customer focus, and excellence. Our overarching mission is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster an environment where individuals are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, nurturing personal and professional growth through development opportunities, mentorship programs, and participation in Upwork Belonging Communities.
We take pride in providing exceptional benefits to our employees. These include comprehensive medical insurance coverage for both you and your family, unlimited paid time off, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To explore these benefits in detail, as well as gain insights into our company values, working principles, and the overall employee experience, we invite you to visit our Life at Upwork page.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice