The Institute for Justice, the National Law Firm for Liberty, seeks a talented, highly organized, and energetic person to assist attorneys in its Miami, Florida office. IJ’s paralegals gain real litigation experience with meaningful responsibility in cases that have immediate real-world impact.
- Conduct basic legal research.
- Proofread and cite-check legal documents.
- Prepare tables of contents and authorities for legal briefs.
- Prepare affidavits for clients and expert witnesses.
- Maintain paper and electronic case files.
- File documents in court electronically and by mail.
- Draft correspondence to courts and other attorneys.
- Calculate, calendar and track due dates for hearings and/or briefs; email entries to appropriate attorneys/paralegals; update as required.
- Read and interpret court rules and determine compliance for filings.
- Manage pretrial preparation and assist during trials.
- Communicate and work on cases with attorneys and peers in other offices.
- Take notes at moot courts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 or more years of paralegal experience.
- Creativity, detailed-oriented, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible work hours with our core business hours of 10am and 4pm
- Work from home equipment reimbursement
- Casual dress code
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance (IJ covers 100% of individual premiums)
- Free Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life insurance plans
- HSA employer contributions
- 401(k) with employer matches
- Generous PTO including a paid personal day and 12 paid holidays
Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position.
In addition to our Miami Florida office, this position will also be open in IJ's other state offices, including Austin, Texas, Tempe, Arizona, and Seattle, Washington as well as IJ's headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
No phone calls, please.