Benderson Development is one of America’s largest privately held real estate companies, with a portfolio that includes more than 800 properties totaling over 50 million square feet in 40 states. The diverse Benderson portfolio includes retail, office, industrial, hotel, residential, and landholdings. With over 70 years of experience, Benderson Development has engineered impressive growth through innovation, insight, and determination.
The Construction Superintendent will be accountable for the entire construction project from mobilization to completion, by providing the knowledge, skill, and experience to run day-to-day operations on the job site. This includes field coordination, working closely with the Subcontractors to ensure that quality and workmanship meets Benderson standards. The Superintendent will ensure that the work is carried out safely, correctly, within budget, and on schedule.
Principle Responsibilities & Duties
- Plan, coordinate, and direct efficient use of all labor, equipment, materials, subcontractors/ material suppliers to achieve the highest quality.
- Study contract drawings and specifications in detail. Check all dimensions and bring all discrepancies and omissions to the attention of designers and Project Managers.
- Assist management in the selection of contractors for the right job at the right price.
- Monitor progress of construction and review schedule status with Project Manager weekly.
- Inspect subcontractor work to verify quality and conformance to the construction documents. Review the construction drawings, documents, and contract scopes of work.
- Review, approve and/or dispute T&M sheets daily, as they are turned in by the subcontractors.
- Meet utility company reps on-site to coordinate utility services.
- Expedite material and equipment orders in a timely fashion to ensure “just in time inventory"
- Evaluate the effectiveness and evaluate the performance of field personnel/ subcontractors and their crews.
- Coordinate construction activities with tenant representatives to minimize the impact on their operations while obtaining a high degree of construction efficiency
- Coordinate Tenant Openings with Property Management.
- Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy and/or Certificate of Compliance for each project.
- Promote and ensure job site safety
- Must have an active driver's license.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the construction industry as a Superintendent.
- Commercial, new construction experience required; Retail construction experience highly preferred.
- Must be willing to drive to job sites within a 1-3 hour radius of Sarasota.
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative.
- Professional with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Normal dexterity required in construction and office environment including hand-eye coordination, walking, sitting, standing, alertness (attention to detail), computer input, and answering of phones.
- May require lifting of materials or boxes weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Much sitting and driving for extended periods of time to get to locations, and walking to perform an inspection of locations