Reports To: Assistant Director of Finance
The accountant will be responsible for daily transactions and reconciliations to the General Ledger. The preparation of financial statements and accounting records and ledgers. Understanding of general accounting and tax compliance.
Essential Job Functions
Maintain fiscal records, prepare periodic/special reports, operating statements, etc. and review records, reports, and statements.
- Prepare and review of all transactions and journal entries.
- Manage intercompany accounting between various properties and entities.
- Oversees job costing and review for capital fund grants as well as capital budget revisions.
- Fixed assets management process and depreciation to ensure accuracy at year-end.
- Maintain the capital expenditure worksheets to complete monthly draws from HUD ELOCCS system.
- Prepare trial balances and related reports and statements.
- Responsible for making sure that Monthly Bank reconciliations for numerous accounts are completed to ensure cash balances are accurate.
- Participate in FYE closing by calculating and preparing accrual postings for FYE adjustments, and other tasks as required.
- Provide outside auditors with assistance as requested; gather necessary account information and documents to perform period and annual audits,
- Maintain knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and procedures, monitor Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) proposed changes, and provide recommendations for compliance and implementation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting theory, principles, and practices
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems
- Knowledge of business English
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Knowledge of Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) rules and regulations that apply to public housing accounting.
- Knowledge of the principles of communication
- Knowledge required to perform professional-level work dealing with data, people, and technology that relates to administrative, technical, scientific, engineering, accounting, legal or managerial skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment that requires the incumbent to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals, priorities, and needs.
- Ability to work in a responsive environment where co-workers and citizens present problems for resolution.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain financial records using computer software.
- Ability to analyze and audit accounting, fiscal, payroll and leave data and reports.
- Ability to generate records, receipts, and reports efficiently using a computer and calculator.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple demands to accomplish tasks in accordance with established requirements.
- Ability to prepare clear concise reports and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to use sound judgment in order to make decisions in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to understand and interpret housing authority and HUD regulations and procedures, and take appropriate action based on those regulations and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors, residents, HUD and other government officials.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting plus 3 years of experience in accounting that included auditing, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and/or payroll or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Public housing experience preferred. Grant accounting experience preferred.
Other: Valid Florida Driver’s License
Insurable under the agency’s insurance policy
- This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all of the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.